If there’s one thing that can ruin a summer get together—it’s mosquito’s. Nothing is more annoying and itchy. When the bugs start to swarm, rather than grabbing an outdoor repellent loaded with chemicals, use one of these easy, homemade versions. They’re not only pretty when lit, but they also help keep the bugs at bay when you’re entertaining outside.
With just a few materials and some imagination, these creative DIY repellent projects can be the hit of your next outdoor gathering. Just be remember to never leave torches or luminaries unattended!
- 2 fresh lemons
- 2 fresh limes
- 1 orange
- 8 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 upcycled jars
- Citronella oil
- Cinnamon sticks
- Floating tealight candles
- Peel the lemons, limes, and oranges. Set peels aside.
- Place 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary and some lavender into each jar.
- Fill each jar ¾ full of water, and then add about 10 drops of citronella oil to each jar. Swirl gently to combine.
- Place a cinnamon stick and 1-2 peels from each fruit into each jar.
- If necessary, add more water to bring the level of the water almost to the top. Then gently float a tealight candle on top, and light when ready.
Wine Bottle Torch
- Recycled wine bottle
- Dish soap and water
- Coupling that fits your wine bottle
- Thread sealant tape
- Pea gravel
- Citronella torch fuel
- Wash the wine bottle thoroughly and let sit in the soapy water to remove the label.
- Insert the coupling into the mouth of the bottle to see which end of the coupling has the tightest fit. Wrap with thread sealant tape until the coupling is very tight when inserted into the bottle. Remove the wrapped coupling from the mouth of the bottle.
- Fill the wine bottle ⅓ full with pea gravel, then fill the bottle with torch fuel. Tip: fill just to where the bottle narrows, and always use caution—torch fuel is extremely flammable. Insert the wick into the wide end of the coupling. You want about ¼” of the wick to stick out from the coupling.
- Insert the rest of the wick down into the bottle. Let the wick absorb the fuel completely, light the wick, and enjoy!